|#nofilter pictures of my hometown :) - Potsdam, Germany.|
When life is stressy and the big things you had planned for might not be happening for a long time, it can start to feel like not many nice things happened. But looking back through my journal, quite a few smaller things also helped to add up to a nice year overall.
I'll share my personal highlights here; there will be time for an in-depth look at art later on.
|That time I met a guy I had been in love with for a while|
(Friedrich Schiller, bust by J.H. Dannecker, Stadtschloss Weimar, Germany)
After all other holiday plans fell through, I went on holiday for one week with my mum and her partner in autumn. We went to Thuringia, where we learned about Luther and Goethe, but, more importantly, there were many forests in autumn colours, and also many, many owls. And we went to Weimar, and there was Schiller, who is better than Goethe anyway ^^.
|That time I was a big child|
(KiKa characters in Erfurt, Germany)
- that time I visited many many cute cats (and the friend who feeds them)
- that time my mum accidentally parked in a tiny garage of a high-end hotel and I got to see a cool collection of flashy cars (Bentleys, Porsches, Teslas, the like - and a very pretty Alfa)
- that time I went on a bike tour with strangers from Instagram and it was awesome - I hope to do this more often next year :).
- that time I got portrait photography lessons while visiting a park
- that time I found a cool new museum during museum night and got to chat about my favourite painter
- that time I finally saw the castle in the park next door after living here for four years (To be fair, it is undergoing renovation and was only opened this summer for a special exhibition.)
- that time I painted my front door bright green ... and my closet ... and my fridge ... and my spice rack
- that time I finished the book I had been reading all year (I wrote a review about it for Floralcars - you can find it here.)
|That time the family's (my) owls got together for a family photo|
I also ran a 5.2 km race without giving up, went to a talk by President Obama, saw an acrobatic circus performance and chatted to many many strangers while sketching outside (or while being dragged to social events). I fared quite well despite the terror, so I shall count it as progress.
Looking back on my year, there are quite a lot of nice memories, and I actually enjoyed myself, even if there was no 'big' thing to look back on. It's very nice to see, and if I have any personal goal for the new year, it is to create more fun small memories, so that life is enjoyable even when there are no major highlights to look forward to :).