Setting out on a Magical Adventure
When you're a student, the beginning of September marks the time to go back to school. You make sure you've packed all your supplies, and you try to prepare for the year of guided learning ahead.
When you're trying to learn on your own instead, in your spare time, September is a time to look a little envious at everyone able to set out on an adventure of learning.
I want to be an illustrator, but studying or taking art classes is not possible for me at the moment, so I too have been looking at people going to their first year of art college, and wishing I was in their place. But this year, I wanted to be proactive. I wanted to do more than just wishing I could go and learn. After all, an illustrator is someone who illustrates, so I decided that I could help my learning process by creating a lot of them. And since I was already thinking about going back to school, what better way to go than to use Hogwarts...
There are a lot of things in the Harry Potter world that would make a great subject for an illustration, but I was looking for something long-term to fit with my needs.
I want to:
- practise working on a project consistently for a long period of time.
- learn how to do detailed illustrations on a schedule
- improve my abilities, especially in terms of details, composition, and originality
I thought about a lot of ways to do this, but eventually I ended up with a challenge for myself:
Illustrate every chapter of Harry Potter.
First, I set myself some rules:
- Do one chapter per week, starting September 02, 2017. (To make sure I work regularly.)
- Post all chapters in order. (To make sure I don't procrastinate on chapters I don't like.)
- Stick to one medium & sizing for an entire book. (To make sure I learn how to use the medium properly.)
- Explain the process in a post. (To remember why decisions were made, and be able to learn from them.)
Feel free to follow along on my journey - it will be a long one! Here are a few things you may need to know:
- I may discuss the content of each chapter, and thus there may be spoilers up to that chapter in each post. There will however not be a spoiler warning. This is Harry Potter, after all.
- This will take forever. If all goes well, the planned end date is July 31, 2021. (Here's hoping that blogging will still be a thing in four years ^^.)
- There will be a retrospective after each book, to let myself reflect on what I've learned, and to give myself a little breathing room.
- I love owls. I will add owls everywhere as long as I can justify them even a tiny bit.
- I am a Slyth. There may be a Slyth-bias in the choice of illustrated scenes. (Just as there is a Gryffindor-bias in the books :P.)
Visually, my favourite version of Harry Potter is the sixth movie. I am trying for originality, but I may try to emulate the mood and light in that film sometimes, even unconsciously.
In the future, I may want to add process discussions, or updated versions of previous illustrations, who knows. I also may add a special Harry Potter Project page. But for now, the bottom of this page will collect every post in this series.
Feel free to follow along and post encouragement, tips or ideas as this project goes on. And please wish me luck for the next four years ahead :).
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
01: The Boy Who Lived